tea gardens

tea gardens

Thursday, July 12, 2007

fishy tales

Things have gotten real fishy of late.To begin with the temperatures sored suddenly and the heat became unbearable.The first causality was diet,so as executive chef of our household I took the decision to ban chicken and red meat from our diet.That left sea food as the only option as we are not very fond of vegetables it has to be something that once swam or crawled.
Decision taken,the next stop was the fish stall.Now this is an interesting place.It smells to high heaven but has the most amazing variety of seafood.Pearl spot,trout,angelfish and the list is endless.There are fresh squids with their ink intact and prawns and lovely lobsters to die for.
The fun of being in a fish shop is to check all the fish out so I start with checking the gills,if they are not red then I refuse to buy them,next step is to plod the stomach,it has to be firm to the touch or the fish is not fresh.Its more of a ritual and all this ads to the fun of checking it all out.
Then I made the mistake of checking the price.Something very fishy has happened in this city.Prawns were the most expensive normally and this was one of those Sunday special treats,but with all the heat,the fish was selling at trice the price of prawns.Shocked out of my skin I quickly reversed my earlier rule of no red meat.Out of the shop in a hurry,I hurried to charm my butcher for a nice good piece of steak.Oh well I never was fishy so why start now.

No comments: