tea gardens

tea gardens

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mad -ras

checked out my favourite blogs today and find that everyone is on a vacation from blogging.Its been ages since I found something to inspire me to write,but it must be the blistering heat that makes me want to eat watermelon all day and curl up in the shade.
On Saturday we drove around the city running errands and suddenly found a whole lot of building that we had forgotten existed.There has been a spree of pulling down hoardings in the city and its like watching a bhurka clad woman taking it off(there is one in my gym so I know what I am talking about).Well suddenly there are trees and buildings and the city seems so much better(i love it even otherwise)Unfortunately for every good thing that happens there is something else not so good.The lovely traffic training park had its building pulled down(beautiful old one around a 100 years) so the same fate for the Admiralty house.Some more seem to go under the hammer.The government claims that they are best done away with because there are in bad condition.My point exactly,the reason why there are the way they are is because no one bothers to maintain them.If we had a policy on heritage buildings then like great cities in other parts of the world,modernity would co exist with tradition and no one would have been unhappy.The old doesn't necessarily have to give way to the new.Does the new look any good....of course not,how can large tracts of glass and concrete look anything like the stuff artists spent so much time making.
One of the papers gave a blueprint of what the city will look like in the future and I am already on a hunt for a place to call home.Why or why do I feel so helpless watching the city disappear.

No comments: