tea gardens

tea gardens

Friday, January 25, 2013

Vellore

A month is a long time in cyberspace so its not surprising that I found it difficult to get started,lots of things change ,more features are added on and the long and short of it is that I am confused....but that aside here are some memories of a holiday or two.

The season at our home starts in October and ends sometime in end January or February.That's to say that the house will be full of sisters and their families or cousins or visiting extended family.Its a few months of overeating,overcooking and  of general excess after which one is a few kilos heavier and have undone all the good that one achieved in the months before.But its also a time when the husband and i get to run away on holiday and leave the house in the capable hands of sisters and mother.For a few days we don't have to worry about running the house,all we need to do is find a nice getaway.

This year in December our first getaway albeit a day,was to vellore a small town near madras famous for its one big achievement,a christian medical college.Some 25 years ago I spent two blissful months in this town as a student and can easily say that those were the best days of my life.Since then our connections to vellore has increased.We went for a wedding this time after a gap of some eight years.The husband and i drove all the way,and we left early.The roads have improved and the driving was stress less,and as to vellore,it has transformed from a one horse town to a little bustling city.

The wedding for me was a time to check out of old friends were around but strangely i couldn't recognise my old institute nor did I come across any of the old friends until well after lunch.I was washing my hands and looking a bit disappointed when a man came over to wash his hands.Something about his face rang a bell and before I could stoped myself ,I had called out a name.His startled look was quickly replaced by a whoop of recognition and much to the consternation of the husband,there I was being hugged by this man who had been a good friend years and years ago.The sheer joy to seeing someone from so long ago is hard to explain.It brings back memories of sing songs,movies,late night chats,home cooked food and a host of others.His sisters house was our haunt every weekend.Like all students we were hungry always and after church on Sunday she gathered some hungry souls and fed us well.She was also there and was so happy to see me.It makes me want to go back for a longer stay ,loaf around our usual hangouts and take that one way ticket on the town bus and see the sights.What a happy way it was ending 2012 in a town that has me going all nostalgic.

No comments: