tea gardens

tea gardens

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Heat waves

If there is one thing I dislike it's heat. I have lived all my life in a hot country where the temperature can go up to 42 degrees c and will only drop to aroun 28 c at the best of times. The few times I get a chance to go on holiday I choose cool or cold countries in a bid to escape the relentless heat. Unfortunately even though he cold countries get into heat wave mode when I get there. Our fist holiday in Europe was so hot that I had to fill bath tubs with cold water to sit in. Paris,Berlin and Amsterdam were all at 35 degrees. Our next holiday in England. A land which is always suffering from rain but the moment I landed there was a heatwave. Last holiday in Austria and Germany and Budapest and Prague were everything I hoped for. Cold,cool but never hot. I enjoyed every minute of it so here I am back in Europe in autumn or so I imagined and the heat is killing me. Italy has been in the late twenties and the heat unrelenting. Germany was lovely but not cold but I hope by the time I get back it becomes freezing.
The problem with the heat is that it tires me out. In my hometown I don't have to go out and see places. I stay at home with the fans on or in extreme hear I have the option of air conditioning but when one is visiting new countries there is som much to see that one is forced to move out. Today in Rome I had decided to stay in the hotel but guilt propelled me outside. How could I spend an entire afternoon in the hotel room after spending so much to travel to this place. So I stepped out and stayed out. Soon I was drenched in sweat,add to that the amount one has to walk in the heat,and then to get on a crowded bus packed like sardines. In my hometown I don't need to get into crowded buses here one simply has to. By the end of the evening I am in a foul mood. I think a cold shower should help but it only makes me feel hotter. The air conditioning remains at 25 degrees and it's not helping. I am taking out my frustration on the husband and he is stressing and getting me stressed also. It doesn't make for a happy situation. The times when I travelled in June I was told that it was summer in Europe from June to August. September I was told was was a good time to travel . In Rome and in Florence we were told that this heat is unusual. So am I a global warming machine on my own. Honestly my next holiday will not be in Europe . Next time I am spending my holidays with the polar bears and that's a promise.

No comments: