tea gardens

tea gardens

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

40 and going strong

Everywhere i look in this country there are young people.Youth is the big buzz word.In my parents time 58 or 65 was retirement,today at 40 one is over the hill.Never mind that there is a wealth of experience,or that we took are time to go through stages in life and are therefore better equipped to handle things.I would like to think that some of us of 40 plus are classic french cuisine while the new lot is typical American fast food that looks great but causes enough damage to ones system.

Go to Europe and one finds that there are more people of 40 plus who are busy working enjoying life and generally very much part of mainstream.Get into a western airline and you will find air hostesses one can believe in.They look like they can handle a crisis.Come to India and air hostesses can smile and wish you but I would hate to be in a crash with the likes of them.

The call centre culture irks me.Not only are they devoid of thinking powers,they do tend to sound like stuff out of an assembly line.Why oh why do we pay so much for mediocrity?

In my time we had the fun of rushing around in public transport,being casual,eating and drinking was also part of a variety of stuff we did,read go for a play,visit friends,party.Pubs and hardcore drinking wasn't part of our lives but that did not mean we were square.We had our fair share of ups and downs and we handled it without the help of a call centre.If we got lost,we found our way without the help of Google or the cell phone.We played games,walked for miles and didn't need an ipod or mp3 player for company.

Wow I like the good old days of balance and happiness when individuals had individuality and character.Thank god I am in my 40s and escaped the dumb world of the 20 something.

3 comments:

Me said...

A bit of a harsh indictment on the 20s, yeah?
I think there can't be a general condemnation of any age.
I know some pretty silly 20 year olds and equally idiotic 40 year olds.
And isn't classic french cuisine not very healthy, what with the butter and all, though I admit American fast food is terrible on the system)
My point was - I think as we grow older, there's a tendency to only remember the good times and sugar coat the bad times.
True, maybe you were more self reliant then but the presence of luxury doesn't necessarily imply the absence of resilient reliance.
Just a thought.

munchkins said...

point taken...cant remember but some 20 something must have bugged me that day...come to think of it i do know some wooly 40s and some decent 20s..

Me said...

I am reading my comment and god, I sound so sanctimonious.
sigh.
I think it was one of those days :)