tea gardens

tea gardens

Monday, November 05, 2007

news not for use

There is an emergency in Pakistan and I hear about it on BBC news.Considering they are our neighbours I presumed that the news media in India would be clamouring to cover the news but the moment the emergency was announced,I switched to the Indian News channels.To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.To say I was expecting it would be a half truth.The point is that all the news channels I turned to were either covering cricket or bollywood.So I ask myself what do news channels do.Unfortunately they don't cover news in the typical sense.Its all bout entertainment and even the news reporters are entertainers.How else would one describe the average news reporter (who is clearly wet behind the ears)who believes in yelling out the news in high pitch,besides badgering the victim(i use that word for that's what it is) like they are the law,government et al.I am surprised at the emotional way in which questions are put forth.News reporting is about being dispassionate,it is about being objective and about reporting the facts.Its not about ones personal opinions so why are so many TV journalists (including may I add,senior ones) so hell bent on bringing their personalities and beliefs on to the news.Unfortunately if one wants objectivity it still the BBC for me.Will someone please rename new channels in India as niche channels that focus on cricket and bollywood.If that's what sells I have no issues with it but lets stop pretending that this is news.

No comments: