tea gardens

tea gardens

Thursday, November 01, 2007

society calls

There are days that one simply don't want to know about and then there are days that are special.This morning was one of those days I wasn't looking forward to,it involved one society lunch and one radio interview,both of which I wasn't very happy about but agreed to in some state of fun which I quickly regretted.Not being able to get out of it I agreed to make the best of a bad situation.
All decked out in some decent clothes I went for lunch,arriving on time.....wrong decision,women especially the social butterfly types..are expected to come in fashionably late( so ok that should read as at least thirty minutes late).First lesson learnt.So I find myself a nice corner with women that looked like they wouldn't make conversation so there I was watching everyone come in.Much kissing and hugging later I find a few women that I do know and chat them up.
The show begins with a fashion show,jewellery is supposed to get all women excited (not this one) but the photographers were so busy one couldn't really see much,so after a while we troop for lunch.
The interesting part of all this was that we were in a room full of women with money and so called class,women who are the who's who of the city including people like me who get invited because someone thinks I am a somebody and the whole objective of the lunch is to get us to spend some money.Well I walked over to the sale section and was surprised to find that the actual buying was being done by two Muslim women covered from head to toe in the bhurka and wonder of wonders the bhurka was full of bling.Talk of fashion transcending all barriers.

No comments: