tea gardens

tea gardens

Friday, September 11, 2015

An Italian impression

It's back to the road again,this time a train ride to Florence. We will be back in Rome despite not having thrown a coin in the Trevino fountain,but having said that I have mixed feeling about Rome. I was told by many that it's a beautiful place,it certainly is if you like ancient ruins,but for someone like me more in love with nature,the Alps and meadows of Austria hold more charm. Not to say that Rome isn't a nice place.
I was told to look out for pick pockets and thugs but am glad to say I encountered neither on the first trip. I face I found the Italians more laid back than most Europeans ,they are far more friendly,ready to share their lives with us. One question can set off a volley of rapid fire chatter and before you know it one is familiar with the family history. I have had women share their meals with me simply because I have eaten their food. At Florence after a five minute conversation with the hotel owner (which involved some shopping tips and exchange of recipes) she was willing to give me a whole bag of bread from Naples which is used to make panzanella the salad they have here. It was only my polite refusal that has me back in the room with two slices of this famed bread. I already know that she has two daughters,that one of her sons works for the police,the hotel is named after one of the daughters and her grandson doesn't think she is posh because she doesn't like truffles. I also discovers she has a friend in Delhi who makes excellent curry,that the lady of the hotel attempts to make curry but it doesn't taste quiet the same as Indian original. Phew would I have ever got such a mine of information from Germans or the English or French. I think more than their country I am liking the people and the food more.
The landscape is not very dissimilar to India too. So used to seeing lush green meadows and wholly sheep and cloudy skies,the Tuscan sky is a clear vibrant blue,not a cloud in sight. The earth is brown with occasional burst of green but a rugged Mediterranean green. It's a long time since I have been in a Mediterranean country and the contrast to the north of Europe cannot be more stark. Olives and grapes turn into wine,oil and vinegar,there are plenty of vegetables,simple dishes and many a grandmother in sight. The Italian nona is very much at the forefront of this busy country.

No comments: