tea gardens

tea gardens

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Wandering in Rome

Our second day in Rome starts early. Out at 7.30 am we are off on a tour to the Vatican museums,the Raphael rooms, St. Peter's basilica and the Sistine chapel. The place is teaming with people and guides and it's a long walk. We have to pass through security and the place is strangely modern. The walls outside are ancient befitting the place but the inside is not something I bargained for. The paintings and frescos are beautiful but it's too rushed a tour. I would need more than a day to see all of it . The Italian guide s accent is so strong we are having trouble following her but thanks to some basic knowledge of the bible and it's stories all is not lost.
The Sistine chapel has been on my bucket list for ages. What did I expect ...well this was certainly not what I expected,the ceiling was crowded with works and the crowds so dense it was a wonder we saw it all. It didn't impress me ,even at the risk of sounding like a philistine. It lacked atmosphere. Having said that I must admit to a wonder at the detailing of the paintings. Every muscle and vein seems to have been painted on. The depth of it all ,the almost real pictures can only point to a genius T work and if it took him nine years to do it it also required patience and dedication to the craft. To that I bow in admiration.
Raphael s frescos are also interesting for technique and the colours are all so vibrant. The mosaic on the wall is truly impressive and the ones on the floors even more so.
St. Peter's basilica was by far the most impressive. It's size and grandeur was not something I have seen anywhere on my travels. All very befitting of being the centre of the Catholic Church. My only disappointment was not hearing mass in the church. The square was everything that I imagined it to be  and the Vatican didn't disappoint in any way though a glimpse of Pope Francis would have been the icing on the cake .
We are told that St. Peter is buried under the altar of the basilica and if that's true then I have followed St. Peter and St. John and for that I am happy. 
We leave the Vatican and wander around Rome. It's streets are cobbled and narrow each one looking very much like the next. Ask for directions and they will throw their arms out and gesture wildly and talk in rapid fire Italian and be sure to not understand or find the place. Directions to place,maps of where one is etc ,all things one takes for granted in European cities is sadly lacking in Rome. We walk for miles and search for the pantheon and after many misses and having worn out our feet and digested our food,we chance upon it. Old ancient and crowded it nevertheless does impress. Brides drag their beautiful grows across the street to the many churches. In Rome if one trips,be certain you will fall into a church. The place is full of churches. Narrow lanes with high buildings create a certain charm and we loose ourselves happily in this very interesting city.
Pretty tired after walking for nine hours we decide to take a bus back. Only to be told that the tickets have to be bought in a shop and not on the bus,so we do that,and get on,but as no one seems to be punching their tickets we wait,until I spot someone doing it and having informed the husband of the procedure he insists I punch the tickets. My protests that to move in a moving bus where I can't reach the holding bars is next to impossible,fall on deaf years. He is more concerned of the embarrassment of being caught in  foreign country,with a misunderstanding that we may have been cheating. Finally not sure if I should put him through the stress I ask someone how the machine is to be used and get the job done.
Thankfully I belong to a generation that grew up without smart phone s and other electronic devices so human contact doesn't embarrass me. I am more than happy to strike up a conversation or ask someone to take a picture for me. The selfie stick is a new device that has further isolated people. Too many people are on their own with just the phone for company and that is the sad part of travel I have noticed so far. For now I am happy to wander my way.

No comments: