tea gardens

tea gardens

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The many shades of new year

((This morning I got up and decided to look through the bulk of newspapers that had been delivers on this last day of the year and I must confess that it has left me very confused. Besides the main paper there were a number of supplements that advertised all manner of things to do today. Let me start with the list.
Most of them told us to eat excessively ,to drink even more (get drunk and bring in the year seems to be the mantra) though why one should be so drunk I wonder. Do the organisers have some inclination of how terrible a year this is going to be so are numbing us into oblivion?. There are many shows all involving dancing (most by foreign woman with very little clothes or local movie starts in equally less clothing). Why this grand obsession with white sking shows is beyond me,or for that matte why we we being subjected to the same old movie starts we saw all year around,doing the same things and why do people actually pay through their noses to see such shows. Obviously I am not the target audience.
While the hotels and resorts are busy telling us to eat and drink beyond reason,the local police force is coming down hard on drunken driving which I think is a very good thing but do you see the contradiction in these activities,we'll if you haven't take a look at the next lot of articles. The newspapers are full of advice on how to stay healthy,how to loose weight how to look good on the new year and which  health club and gym offer the best deals. We are told to eat more fruit and vegetables (nothing new there ) run,walk and swim and stay away from ancho and too much oil and rich foods but of course they still expect you to do all that to bring in the new year.....contradictions galore if you ask me. Everyone on some binge and then everyone one some other binge to stay healthy and if like me you are and old cynic then do what I do.....go over to the neighbours for an early meal,have a glass of wine,toast each other's health and head home to a good book and go to sleep and get up as refreshed as you can on the new year.....killjoy you may call me but I am happy and that's how it's going to stay.....happy new year world

No comments: