tea gardens

tea gardens

Friday, September 04, 2015

Day 4 Germany revisited

It's day four of my trip to Germany and it's yet another wet day,but having done more of my share of eating and drinking than usual I am in danger of running out of clothes that fit me so unlike my usual self of needing company for a walk,I decided that the surrounding are too beautiful,the weather too perfect for me to laze in bed so I set off to explore the place on my own.
It is Germany so following in the footsteps of hansel and gretel I set off towards a park I remember from my last visit,mentally marking my surroundings into landmarks so I don't get lost. Not for me the smartphone dependence,I revert to type and follow fairy tales.
A long tunnel alwaits me,it's pedestrian only so no danger of cars rushing in my path. The sky is a brilliant blue,nip in the air,the grass is green and as autumn has set in the leaves in russet red are all over the green grass. The river necker flows through this town and at this time of the morning it's a still green not yet disturbed by ducks or swans. I continue on my tranquil walk not passing a soul and after a short walk I enter the park. It's a wide expanse of grassland with walking and cycling paths that lead to the railway station . A large glassy lake is the centrepiece of the park. In the early morning it's banks are dotted with speckled ducks of all sizes all busy packing for worms in the grass. A red squirrel bright eyed and bushy tailed is also busy cracking chestnut s in the area under the trees. I watch fascinated never having seen red squirrels before. The ducks jump out of my path and flee into the lake causing it's glassy surface to ripple with the movement. I am not sure how much beauty I can absorb without breaking stride but I simply have to. For someone used to walking in humid 30 degrees c this is a breathtakingly beautiful experience. Walking done the next thing on the agenda is market day. The main square is full of locals traders selling their produce,so vegetables,flowers,herbs,cheese,sausages and mushrooms of all varieties. Of course everyone has their favourite stalls. It's bustling and busy with people shouting out their wares and long line at the most popular ones. But we wait patiently fill our bags with a variety of produce. Sometimes it's greed to be able to feast ones eyes on such a variety of things. For a meat and cheese lover like me the variety is mind boggling and I am hard pressed to know what I want. There are a variety of soft cheeses some with odours like dirty socks,some with mould,some hard cheeses,olives filled with anchovies,paprika filled with feta cheese and sausages to eat on the go,pate varieties,and what have you . We spend a pleasant two hours and round it off with lunch sitting outdoors near a stream rushing by,a glass of wine to sip on and some great food to eat.
The afternoon is still young. Like most people in Germany our friends have a little allotment which they call a garden and it's time to spend an afternoon on a hammock doing nothing. While our friends set up a barbecue,and burn some unwanted stuff the husband and I discover the joys of plucking fresh plums and apples from the trees. Growing up we are used to throwing stones to get at fruit but we find a stick and get enough plums to eat. They are juicy black and taste like sugar. Then it's time to check if the bees are doing their work making honey. We need to feed them ,calm them down with smoke and check if all is well. I am a little terrified of being stung but can't resist the temptation of seeing a bee hive at close range and it's an experience I wouldn't miss for the world. The little cottage in the woods is well equipped with a kitchen bunk beds and a toilet,an outdoor shower complete the picture. By the time we finish with the bees the husbands have got sausages and a variety of stuff cooked,glasses of red wine ready and plenty of conversations to keep us going. As dusk falls and temperatures drop its curtains on another wonderful day spent in the company of good friends and beautiful surrounding and once again I send up a prayer of thanks,determined to spend every moment enjoying the beauty of nature that I am lucky enough to enjoy and be a part of


No comments: