tea gardens

tea gardens

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Lichtenstein castle

Five days is enough to get into some king of routine and mine starts with a morning walk. Used as I am to hot and humid weather I am not at all sure how eight degrees feel and can't understand how eight can go up to fifteen,the sun can come out,it can go from sunny and warm to bitterly cold. So like a proverbial cat I step put into the cold,watch the locals for a while and gather some valuable tips on how to dress like a local but I don't quiet get it. Having spent a lifetime wearing as little as possible it's a huge challenge to wear more than one piece but I compromise. I slept out in a heavy sweat shirt ( I think this is heavy but I don't have a clue) and jeans. No jacket as I think it's not so cold. Within minutes my breath is coming out like smoke rings,my hands are cold and I can feel the chill biting into my skin. Not having the key to the house to grab a coat,I decide to do some running. It warms me up. Talk of survival skills.
At seven in the morning there are very few people around but the baker is on his rounds and the aroma of freshly baked bread has my taste buds tingling,so I follow the sent which leads me to the local church compound where local traders are setting up shop for the Saturday market. The efficiency has to be seen to be believed. My mind goes back to India . At seven in the morning the local market will be littered with the rubbish of yesterday. Rotten fruit and veg will be strewn on the roads and cows will eat them,while the days vendors will unload their produce and litter some more. Back in Germany,the stalls are finer glass tents and cool trucks. Everyone has his own electricity supply so the fridge is running  the meats are cooled despite the temperatures being in single digits. The flower seller unloads a huge truck of produce. All flowers are placed in boxes and everyone cleans up after themselves.i search for litter and find none. The traders have their own designated spaces and there is no shouting no raised voices. Everything is quiet efficiency. I marvel at the difference.
Having filled our baskets with food and eaten fit to burst we set off on a long drive to Lichtenstein castle. Winding village roads through flat green meadows. Not a pot hole in sight. It's better than our highways back home. We hurtled down the road,the sharp wind whipping through our hair and the nip in the air is exhilarating.
The castle itself is old and small. Moats and little wooden drawbridges complete the picture. It's an old ducal property not grand in any way but equipped with chapel and smaller homes . The views are breathtaking. Chalk hills surround it and I am transported back to Enid blyton tales of children finding adventure in abandoned castles. Rambling roses climb every available opportunity and their sent mingles in the sharp breeze. It's all fresh and green . It's also a day for weddings so we have seen four brides already. Some built like houses but all in happy white flowing gowns. The guest are also in hats,dresses,suits etc. flowers everywhere,wine and food in abundance. I would like to get a sneak peek,but that's just a dream.
Back in the house we build a roaring fire,watch a French movie,drink our red wine and eat our home made pizza and are a happy bunch. It's warm and cozy and I am tucking away every little experience to be relived back in my hot and searing city.

No comments: